Skip to Content

Anxiety, curiosity engulf illness

by July 31, 2017 General

The country’s cricket fraternity had been anxiously awaiting health updates on former Bangladesh captain Khaled Mahmud since early yesterday morning after news broke the previous night that the popular cricketing figure had been admitted to hospital in critical condition.

His well-wishers, friends and fans besides his colleagues in the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) thronged to the hospital to know his condition. On social media wishes abounded for the speedy recovery of the cricketer, who is affectionately called a fighter as the all-rounder not only won many matches on the domestic scene but also made significant contributions for the national side; in particular his role of successfully leading the national team at a difficult juncture has been an inspiration for many.

The sigh of relief for everybody however came very quickly when it was announced in the morning by the BCB that the condition of Mahmud was improving, that he was taken off ventilation and there was nothing wrong in the MRI report.  Everybody was also happy to know that the BCB had decided to send him to Singapore last night by air ambulance for better treatment.

Apart from the anxiety, many however were also searching for an answer to what actually happened with Mahmud’s health. What were the complaints with which he was actually admitted to hospital? For what reasons was the condition so serious?

As BCB president Nazmul Hassan briefed reporters at the hospital about Mahmud’s condition, he also faced the same questions and the BCB boss’s answers only heightened the curiosity and concern.

“At the moment, the problem is that nobody is saying anything to be very frank. Whoever I am asking is unable to provide a specific answer. I haven’t met anyone from his family, such as his wife or children. However, I met his brothers and sisters and they are not saying anything. They are saying that they found him in that condition in the hospital. So it’s very difficult to say and I don’t know exactly at the moment what happened. But I feel that he needs to get better first and then only he can tell us what happened. Even the doctors haven’t told us anything about how it happened,” said Hassan.

Praising the treatment at United Hospital, Hassan added that it was the best time for them to send him abroad. “A doctor from the BCB is going and none of his family have visas so they will need a few days to get it processed. However, his brother has an American passport so he can travel without a visa and will go with Mahmud. We believe that Sujon [Khaled Mahmud] will be completely healthy in two-three days.”

Mahmud was initially admitted to Kurmitola Hospital and then shifted to United Hospital. When contacted, Dr Shagufta Anwar, director, communication and business development of United Hospital, told The Daily Star that: “At 2.40am [Sunday early hours] he was admitted to our hospital. Initially he was in emergency and then shifted to ICU and at 5.45am a four-member medical board was formed. He had a CVA [Cerebrovascular accident] and in CVD [Cardiovascular disease] condition which means he was not getting enough oxygen in his brain. At that time the GCS [Glasgow Coma Scale; the score that estimates coma severity] was six out of 15, which was very low.”

“He had an MRI this[Monday] morning and the report didn’t detect any haemorrage. It might be a case of neurological depression. He is responding to the treatment but he is still not out of danger,” she added while he talking to this reporter around 8:00pm last night.