Kremlin did not answer email from Trump's lawyer: spokesman
MOSCOW, Aug. 30 (Xinhua) — The Kremlin confirmed Wednesday that it received an email a lawyer and business adviser for U.S. President Donald Trump sent during the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign, but it never replied.
The Washington Post reported Monday that in January last year Michael Cohen sent an email to Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov requesting assistance for advancing a stalled Trump Tower skyscraper project in Moscow.
“I confirm that among emails we have received there was one from Mr. Michael Cohen,” Peskov told reporters Wednesday.
He said the email informed him that a Russian company together with certain persons planned to build such a skyscraper in Moscow, but the process was stalled, and they asked for assistance in moving the project forward.
Peskov said he believed that this email dealt with “issues beyond the competence of the Kremlin’s press service.”
“We do not react to similar business topics as it is not our job. So we left it unanswered,” he said, adding that the press office was unable to discuss with Russian President Vladimir Putin “hundreds and thousands of different appeals that come from a variety of countries.”
According to Washington Post, Cohen wrote the email at the recommendation of Felix Sater, a Russian-American businessman who was serving as a broker on the deal.
Peskov denied any personal meeting with Cohen or Sater.
The Washington Post report appeared during an ongoing congressional investigation into contacts between Trump associates and Russian officials over alleged Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
Night view of 9th BRICS summit host city Xiamen
Water volume of Hukou Waterfall surges due to heavy rainfall
Tropical Storm Harvey breaks rainfall record in U.S. mainland
Artisans make lanterns for upcoming Mid-Autumn Day in Singapore
China’s Discovery ROV collects samples in western Pacific Ocean
World Robot Conference attracts visitors in Beijing
At least 2 died, 8 injured in knife attack in Turku, Finland
13 killed, over 100 others injured in Barcelona attack: official