Skip to Content

Monaco insists no Real-Mbappe deal

Closed
by July 27, 2017 General

2017-07-27 01:30:43 GMT2017-07-27 09:30:43(Beijing Time) Agencies

AS Roma’s Diego Perotti scores his team’s first goal past Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Michel Vorm during their International Champions Cup match at the Red Bull Arena in New Jersey on Tuesday. Roma secured a 3-2 victory. — Reuters AS Roma’s Diego Perotti scores his team’s first goal past Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Michel Vorm during their International Champions Cup match at the Red Bull Arena in New Jersey on Tuesday. Roma secured a 3-2 victory. — Reuters

MONACO said yesterday that no deal has been reached with Real Madrid for teenage French international striker Kylian Mbappe.

Monaco vice president Vadim Vasilyev also said at a press conference the principality club was in discussions with Mbappe over a new contract extension.

The 18-year-old has been the subject of intense transfer speculation linking him to a world-record 180-million euro (US$210 million) move, with Spanish sports daily Marca reporting on Tuesday that a fee had been agreed between Real and the French Ligue 1 champion.

“I have read a lot of things in the press,” said Vasilyev.

“So far we have not signed any agreements with Real or any other club. All big clubs want him, he’s the great hope of European football. We are in discussions over a contract extension with Kylian and we hope to reach an agreement.”

Mbappe burst onto the scene last season as he helped Leonardo Jardim’s side claim its first French league title since 2000 and reach the UEFA Champions League semiinals. The pacy forward scored 15 Ligue 1 goals and six in as many starts in Europe, all of which came in the UCL knockout stages.

Having been linked with possible moves to a host of top clubs, Real had appeared to be on the brink of getting its man.

But Vasilyev insisted that Mbappe needed to be given time to make a decision of that magnitude at such a young age.

“There is too much media pressure around him,” he added. “It’s not easy for him, but he handles it well… We want to take the time to chat quietly with the player and his family.”

Meanwhile, Inter Milan boss Luciano Spalletti yesterday gave the clearest indication yet that Ivan Perisic could leave, saying the Serie A club will listen to serious offers for the winger.

The 28-year-old Croatian international has been strongly linked with a big-money move to Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United, while English Premier League champion Chelsea is reported to be in for Inter midfielder Antonio Candreva.

“Sure there are rumors but we want to keep Perisic, he’s a very important player for the team. We are counting on him to start the new season,” Spalletti said in Singapore, where Inter plays a preseason International Champions Cup match against Bayern Munich today. “But if somebody comes in with a very difficult offer to reject then we will consider that, but of course we need to find a valid alternative for Perisic as well.”

And on Italian international Candreva, 30, Spalletti also failed to give assurances about his future at Inter, saying: “Nobody has officially made a request for him yet.”

Previous
Next