Skip to Content

Nirbhaya's mom still struggling for justice

by December 17, 2016 General

Four years ago, a 23-year-old paramedical student was brutally gang-raped on a moving bus in the national Capital. The incident shook everyone and triggered mass protests across the country demanding justice for her. Four years later, her parents say they are still struggling for justice.

“It has been four years and we are still seeking justice for my beloved daughter. I want to ask the government how long will I have to protest before my daughter gets justice,” said Nirbhaya’s mother Asha Devi on “Nirbhaya Chetna Diwas”, which was organised by the Nirbhaya Trust at Jantar Mantar on Friday.

“The government at the Centre has changed, but our never-ending wait for justice continues,” she added.

On the intervening night of 15-16 December, 2012, Nirbhaya was brutally raped on a moving bus by six people, including a juvenile, in south Delhi. The incident took place while she was returning home after watching a movie with a friend. Thirteen days after the incident, she died in a hospital in Singapore.

The incident triggered an uproar and stirred a debate on the safety of women across the country. “Four years ago, when thousands of people took to the street demanding justice for my daughter, I thought things will eventually change for women in the country. Sadly, the situation remains the same. A girl was raped today in Delhi,” said the grieving mother.

A 19-year-old girl, who had come to Delhi for a job, was on Friday raped in taxi by the driver. The rape survivor was a resident of Noida.

Urging people to create awareness about women’s rights and safety, the mother of the braveheart said, “Every now and then we hear of a woman being assaulted, raped or even gang-raped. Neither kids or elderly women are spared. We need another uprising demanding safer public spaces for women”.

Among the six accused arrested in the Nirbhaya case, Ram Singh hung himself in prison in March 2013, while another man, who was a juvenile at the time of the incident, was released on December 15, 2015, after spending three years in jail. The other four were found guilty and sentenced to death by the Delhi High Court in September 2013, following which they challenged the decision in the apex court where it is at the moment.