Official Opening of Pearl’s Hill Care Home
1. Pearl’s Hill Care Home (PHCH) was officially opened by Minister for Health Mr Gan Kim Yong on 28 September 2016. The 130-bed nursing home is the first nursing home operated by Vanguard Healthcare, which was set up by MOH to operate nursing homes. In 2014, MOH announced its intention to operate some nursing homes so that it can better understand the operating challenges of the sector and catalyse the development of new models of care.
2. The Pearl’s Hill Care Home focuses on rehabilitation with the aim to prepare and enable seniors to be independent again, and eventually return home. Since the home started its operations in January this year, several residents have successfully gone through rehabilitation and returned to their homes, with more expected to be discharged later in the year.
3. Vanguard Healthcare aims to make care more accessible to seniors in Singapore. In addition to PHCH, Vanguard Healthcare will operate another nursing home in Woodlands, which will be opened at the end of 2017. Refer to the ANNEX for more information on Vanguard Healthcare.
4. PHCH is working with various partners such as Ngee Ann Polytechnic to pilot innovations like the Fall Prevention Toilet Sensor and the Modular Wheelchair Storage System, with the aim of sharing these eventually with the eldercare sector.
5. Currently, there are more than 12,000 nursing home beds, 3,500 day care places and 6,900 home care places. MOH is on track to develop 17,000 nursing home beds, 6,200 day care places and 10,000 home care places by 2020.
Source: Ministry of Health Singapore