Remains of all 10 sailors missing in destroyer collision found
The Fleet said the US Navy and Marine Corps divers have recovered the remains of the sailors who had served on board the USS John S. McCain, reports The Straits Times.
“The incident is under investigation to determine the facts and circumstances of the collision.”
Singapore’s Maritime and Port Authority (MPA) said all the search and recovery efforts have concluded.
The collision on August 21 between the McCain and the Liberian-flagged Alnic MC also injured five navy sailors.
The collision damaged the US warship’s left side, near the stern, punching a hole that stretched above and below the waterline.
Following the collision, Singapore coordinated a search and rescue operation with the US, Australia, Indonesia and Malaysia, covering 5,524 sq km, an area more than seven times the size of Singapore, The Straits Times reported.
The collision was the second involving a destroyer from the US 7th Fleet in two months in the Pacific.
Head of the US 7th Fleet Joseph Aucoin who was scheduled to retire next month was removed from his post last week.
In June, the guilded-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald collided with Philippine container vessel ACX Crystal, killing seven sailors and injuring three others.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)