Revealed: Asia's 350 Best Universities
LONDON, June 13, 2016 /PRNewswire/ —
China edges out Japan in battle for regional superiority
Quacquarelli Symonds, global higher education analysts, today released on http://www.TopUniversities.com the eight edition of the QS University Ranking: Asia.
National University of Singapore is established as Asia’s finest university for the third consecutive year. It is followed by the University of Hong Kong. Nanyang Technological University rises one place to the podium, taking the bronze medal. China remains the preeminent nation, ahead of Japan.
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140618/691283 )
NUS President Tan Chorh Chuan said: “Our priority is preparing future-ready graduates and developing top talent, driving innovation and forging strategic collaborations with academic and industry partners, and delivering impact from world-class research. I am heartened that our work is also reflected by NUS continued progress in the rankings.”
- 17 nations or territories are featured;
- Hong Kong dominates the top ten with four institutions ranked;
- China, Singapore, and South Korea feature two universities apiece in the top 10;
- China has 82 universities among the 350 ranked, Japan has 74,
South Korea 54, Taiwan 34, India 23 and Malaysia 20;
- There are 13 Thai universities in the rankings, 11 Indonesian, 10 Pakistani, 8 Filipino and five Vietnamese.
- Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have two apiece; Brunei and Macao one apiece.
- This year’s QS University Rankings: Asia are the largest-ever rankings for the region.
QS University Rankings 2016 (Asia): Top 20 2016 2015 Institution Country/Territory 1 1 National University of Singapore Singapore 2 2 University of Hong Kong Hong Kong 3 4 Nanyang Technological University Singapore 4 5 The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Hong Kong 5 11 Tsinghua University China 6 3 KAIST - Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology South Korea 7 9 City University of Hong Kong Hong Kong 8 6 The Chinese University of Hong Kong Hong Kong 9 7 Peking University China 10 8 Seoul National University South Korea 11 16 Fudan University China 12 10 POSTECH South Korea 13 12 The University of Tokyo Japan 14 15 Tokyo Institute of Technology Japan 15 14 Kyoto University Japan 16 19 Korea University South Korea 17 13 Osaka University Japan 18 18 Yonsei University South Korea 19 17 Sungkyunkwan University South Korea 20 20 Tohoku University Japan (c) QS Quacquarelli Symonds 2004-2016 http://www.TopUniversities.com
1. Tables will not go live until 00:01 GMT on the 14th June 2016
The full, enhanced methodology can be found here.
The full QS University Rankings: Asia can be viewed in full here.