Thai PM Says Three Uighur Men Not In Thailand
By Mohd Haikal Mohd Isa
BANGKOK, April 21 (Bernama) — The three Uighur men placed on Thailand’s security watch list, following a security alert from Singapore, are not in Thailand, says Thai Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-o-chan.
“Don’t have (not in Thailand), the authorities have already checked (on them) regarding the warning (from Singapore). The Immigration has also checked on the matter but did not find them,” he told reporters here today.
“I do not hide (the information) but the authorities have told me that they have nothing on them,” he stressed.
Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister, Gen Prawit Wongsuwon, said that Thai security agencies including the Police Special Branch and National Intelligence Agency, kept a close watch on all known terror groups.
Prayuth and Prawit were responding to a statement by the country’s Immigration Bureau Chief, Lt Gen Nathathorn Prousoontorn, in the local media Thursday, that one of the Uighur men mentioned in Singapore’s list visited Thailand last month.
The immigration chief identified the man as Ali Yalcin Ergin, 36, a Turkish passport holder.
He said that based on the immigration record, the Turkish national arrived at Bangkok’s Don Mueng airport on March 18 from Singapore, and left the country for Cambodia five days later.
“He (Ali Yalcin) re-entered the country on March 24 and left for Malaysia via Phuket International Airport on March 28. There was no record of a third entry,” he was quoted as saying.
He had also said that Ali had travelled with another Turkish national named Arif Yilmaz, who was not on Singapore’s watch list.
Meanwhile, National Security Council’s Secretary General Gen Thawip Netniyom, told the local media Thursday that Singapore’s security alert did not come with any warning about possible attacks.