Recommended

Replay video

Waves splash Bali bars

Big waves causing trouble at a number of Bali bars and boats.

While the high tides off the coast Bali have subsided in recent days, tourists have been warned to stay alert at beaches and seaside tourist venues with more big waves expected next week.

After WAtoday this week published terrifying footage of giant waves hitting popular coastal venues on the island, tourists from Western Australia made contact to tell about the frightening scenes they encountered.

The dangerous tides damaged buildings in the southern region and left two tourists dead in Sanur.

The tree a man fell from after a rush of water hit it.

The tree a man fell from after a rush of water hit it. Photo: Anne Banks-McAllister

The unusual spring tide left renowned restaurant The Rock Bar at Ayana Resort deserted and damaged, while patrons at Ku De Ta, the most popular hub for Australians partying in Seminyak, were repeatedly sprayed with water from massive waves during one onslaught last week.

Are you in Bali? Have you had any close calls from tidal waves? Email us here

WA holidaymakers on the island told WAtoday some beachfront venues were now in tatters.

Furniture at coastal restaurants have been extensively damaged.

Furniture at coastal restaurants have been extensively damaged. Photo: Anne Banks-McAllister

Melinda Gorringe, who is staying at a resort just near Ku De Ta, said damage caused by massive waves was very evident.

“Most of the beachfront hotels in the area have their frontages sandbagged to prevent water further eroding and invading their resorts,” she said.

“The break at Potato Head Beach Club is all but washed away and there is no safe way on to or off the beach from the club. 

The scene at Ku De Ta just before a tidal wave hits.

The scene at Ku De Ta just before a tidal wave hits.

“The pipe work and base of the oceanside spa have been fully exposed.”

Ms Gorringe said she had been reluctant to waIk further along the beach to see the damage because the treacherous conditions made it almost impossible.

“We usually walk the beach to exercise and access restaurants further down towards Legian but have been reluctant to do so this trip … instead electing to catch taxis,” she said.

The scene outside a hotel in Sanur last week.

The scene outside a hotel in Sanur last week. Photo: Anne Banks-McAllister

The W Hotel, one of the most exclusive resorts in Bali, was forced to block all but one pedestrian access to its adjoining beach, while The Legian, another hotel popular with WA tourists, has had to install makeshift stairs for guests to access its beach.

Daglish woman Anne Banks-McAllister stayed at The Fairmont hotel in Sanur last week and said she saw one man fall out of a tree as it was consumed by a rush of water.

“Paths are usually brick-paved but flooding covered them in about four inches of sand and debris,” she said. 

“Many cafes, restaurants and shops were flooded, and many lost their outside eating areas, including wooden decks whose foundations were washed away.  

“We saw one man fall out of a tree as it toppled into the ocean while he tried to remove lights from its branches.”

Another WA tourist, Tony Davies, told WAtoday the big waves had stopped but had last week reached beyond the top of the beach near their accommodation.

“The lifesavers kept blowing their whistles to tell people to get out of the sea but a lot of folks just ignored this,” he said. 

“We witnessed one small boy being rescued by the guys who sell the beach chairs … they did an awesome job.”

Footage first published on WAtoday on Wednesday shows Aussies sipping cocktails on sun lounges at Ku De Ta almost get wiped out by a moster wave, while tourists on a ship were forced to evacuate to the top level as giant waves rocked the massive vessel.

Nearly 1300 people were forced to flee Java’s Lumajang and Pekalongan cities in recent days, with tidal waves forecast for the next few days in waters off the western coast of Sumatra island and southern coast of Bali and Sumbawa. 

Local newspaper Tribun Bali reported on Wednesday two tourists from Hong Kong and Singapore died after being dragged out to sea at Padang Galak Beach in Sanur. 

Earlier this month, a Perth couple’s honeymoon turned into horror when the bride, Lestari Williams from Two Rocks, was among five people swept out to sea but did not return to shore, along with her younger sister. 

As well as Seminyak and Sanur, the freak tides and waves have made conditions treacherous in other popular tourist locations Kuta, Petitenget and  Sanur, with beachgoers urged to show caution.

Tide levels on Kuta had reached up to 2.7m above average but were usually highest on the island in December and January.

Bali authorities suggested the high tides could return next week and urged tourists to be aware when visiting beaches, while DFAT advice for travel to Bali has not changed, the only warning to exercise a high degree of caution for terrorist attacks.